Jayne is Cornwall Councillor & Falmouth Town Councillor for Falmouth Penwerris Division, as well as Parliamentary Candidate for Truro & Falmouth Constituency for the next General Election.
As Labour’s Group Leader at Cornwall Council, Jayne has:
- Won the first ever successful budget challenge at Cornwall Council, investing £3.5 million in mental healthcare for young people
- Secured policies at Cornwall Council to ensure that our money is spent locally wherever possible and on organisations that benefit our people and environment.
- Supported the Ethical Care Charter in Cornwall, which improves the pay, terms and conditions of Cornish care workers.
- Chaired the Pensions Committee and introduced a new Responsible Investment Policy which commits to drastically cut the amounts our Local Government Pension Fund invests in carbon.
- Set up a fund so that 5% of Cornish workers’ pensions are invested in affordable housing and renewable energy in Cornwall.
- Shaped Labour Party housing policy at Labour’s national conference
I know there is so much more to be done in Truro and Falmouth, so much more that an effective and hard working Labour MP could achieve.
I live and work in Falmouth. After qualifying as a lawyer, I worked as a Trade Union and Employment Rights solicitor, representing people at work for more than a decade, before I married and moved to the west country.
Then, as a single parent, I put my skills to good use, volunteering at the Cornwall Citizens Advice Bureau when my son was small and then working as a teaching assistant at Falmouth School for nearly 7 years while he was in school.
Jayne’s track record in elections:
Tripled the Labour Vote in 2017 General Election. In 2017 Jayne slashed the Tory majority in the Truro and Falmouth seat from 14,000 to just 3,792, after the second biggest swing in the UK
- A 64% Vote Share in Falmouth. In 2018 I won my Cornwall Council seat with a 60% vote share and increased that majority in 2021
To find out more about Jayne and her priorities for Falmouth and Truro see her webpage – www.jaynekirkham.co.uk
Telephone: 07736 895195